Homeowners can take simple steps to protect their homes and family from pests. So spending some time now Spring cleaning and tidying up in and around your home will go a long way to keep pests at bay when the weather warms up.
- Solve moisture problems: cracked gutters, leaky faucets and standing water.
- Seal cracks in foundation or siding with caulk, putty or fine steel wool.
- Minimize outdoor lighting, yellow light attracts fewer insects.
- Don’t let paper bags and newspapers accumulate. Don’t store them next to the refrigerator.
- Keep trash and recyclables covered. Keep bins clean and off the ground with cement blocks.
- Keep firewood, lumber and “clutter” away from your home to minimize hiding spots.
- Make sure there is no spillage from your bird feeder.
- Don’t store food products on the floor.
- Prune shrubs, vines and trees to minimize hiding places and moisture accumulation.
- Check window screens and replace any damaged over the winter.
If pests appear despite your best efforts, contact a professional pest control company before a minor pest problem gets out of hand.