Africanized Honey Bee (Killer Bee)
Apis Mellifera Scutellata
- Dark brown in colour.
- Body covered with hairs.
- Colony size — large (often greater than 30,000 individuals).
- Preferred nest sites — hollow trees, roof and wall cavities.
- Nest construction — Wax combs which hang vertically. Nests are in constant use throughout the life of the colony.
Africanized and European Honey Bees
- Look the same
- Protect their nest and sting in defense
- Can sting only once
- Have the same venom
- Pollinate flowers
- Produce honey and wax
- Respond quickly and sting in large numbers
- Can sense a threat from people or animals 50 feet or more from the nest
- Sense vibrations from power equipment 100 feet or more from nest
- Will pursue an enemy ¼ mile or more
- Swarm frequently to establish new nests
Africanized honey bees are less predictable and more defensive than European honey bees. They are more likely to defend a greater area around their nest. They respond faster and in greater numbers