Red Imported Fire Ant
- A small ant, with workers averaging 3-6 mm in length.
- Soil mounds tend to be 46 cm or less in diameter
- Red to brown body color
- A mature colony can have nearly one-quarter million workers, while typical colonies have about one-third as many.
- Mounds are accidentally disturbed and large numbers of irritated stinging red ants emerge to attack the source of the disturbance.
- Low temperatures appear to be key to limiting northward expansion - they fail to become established in regions where the soil persists at near-freezing temperatures for more than a couple of weeks.