- Dark brown or blackish.
- 1/8" long.
- 6 legs.
- 2 spines on the back.
- 2 nodes on petiole.
- Grooves on head and thorax.
- Thorax uneven with 1 pair of spines.
- 12-segmented antennae with 3-segmented lub.
- Winged ants are often mistaken for termites.
- Visible Spring and Summer.
- Have been known to emerge any time of the year in heated structures.
- Feeding - eat almost anything that humans eat, and also pet food.
- Visibility - seen entering houses looking for food, most often at night. May move through pipes and electrical wires.
- Nesting - in lawns or under stones, wood, or boards. Mounds built along sidewalks, baseboards, and near foundations in clusters. Colonies found near water.