- Workers are monomorphic about 1/16”-1/8”
- Queens range up to 3/8”
- Body is dark brown to black, with gray sheen/luster
- Antenna and 6 legs that are very long in comparison to body size
- Colonies tend to be small, up to 2,000 workers
- 8 to 40 Queens in a colony of 2,000 workers
- They often enter homes in fall or after a rain storm.
- Nesting – indoors: underneath floors and in wall voids, especially near hot water pipes and heaters. Outdoors: nests are shallow and usually located in soil under objects.
- Preferred food indoors.