- Workers - 1/4" long.
- Queen - 1/2" long.
- Blackish color most common but can also be black and red.
- 6 legs.
- Swarms appear in the Spring.
- The colonies of carpenter ants can live from 3-6 years.
- Locations - both moist and dry wood, but prefer moist, eg wood dampened by water leaks.
- Internally - excavate galleries in wood with a smooth appearance.
- Externally - sometimes hollow out sections of trees.
- Visibility - hunt for food mainly at night but also during the day in early spring / summer. Signs include sawdust, wet wood, or unusual noises coming from the walls.
- Feeding - primary food is honeydew, also eat plant secretions, fruit juices and insect remains. They do not eat wood. In homes they are attracted to sweet substances, fats, grease and meats.
- Contact - rarely come into contact with people, but if they do will try to escape. They cannot sting.