- Workers about 1/16"long.
- Light to dark brown in colour.
- Do not swarm.
- Bite – do not sting.
- Worker ants produced in Spring and increase in numbers up until autumn.
- Winged ants, (reproductive Kings and Queens), produced in early Spring, before the workers, mature within three months and mate soon afterwards.
- Argentine ants mate in their nest so no swarming is seen.
- Worker ants will follow food trails for long distances so nests are not easy to track.
- They prefer sweet foods but will also eat live and dead insects, meats, cereals and damaged fruit.
- Argentine ants drive out other ant species from an area.