Signs of Mice Activity
Generally mice won’t be seen during the day as they are nocturnal.
A homeowner is more likely to see the evidence they leave behind rather than the mice themselves.
There are a number of signs you can look for to help determine if you have a mouse problem in your home.
Signs of Mice in House
- Mouse droppings – mice leave small, dark droppings particularly along walls, in cupboards or under sinks.
- Dirty Smudges on floors or skirting board. Mice tend to run alongside walls as they don’t have great eyesight. You might also notice small patches of urine.
- Distinctive Smell – mice leave an ammonia-like smell that will be particularly strong in more enclosed areas such as in cupboards.
- Mouse damage – mice have teeth that grow continuously and will gnaw on wood, plastic, cables and other hard materials to keep their teeth shorter. They will also steal softer materials for nesting.
- Scratching noises in the walls or ceilings as mice scurry around. You might also hear them squeaking or gnawing.
- Mouse nests – mice build nests with shredded material such as newspaper and fabrics. These will tend to be in hidden places such as behind fridges. Nests will often contain young mice.
Checking for Signs of Mice
Below are some of our tips to help you find out if you have a mice infestation:
- Lay some talcum powder or plain flour along the edge of the floor by the walls or on surfaces close to where you think the nest might be. You’ll notice tracks in the powder within a few days if the nest is close.
- If you can hear mouse activity in the walls this can be a good indicator of where the nest is; mice tend to stay as close to the nest as possible even when foraging for food.
Call Ehrlich Pest Control free at for further advice on mice or to arrange a free pest inspection. If you suspect you already have mice, find out more about how to get rid of mice in your home.