Squirrels are so common, you may not think squirrel control is all that important. But, the damage they can cause to your property and the diseases they can carry may will you to call a professional pest control service.
Because humans and squirrels come into close contact with one another, it’s important to know the risks, especially if your property has a lot of trees and shrubbery.
Common areas where humans and squirrels come into close contact with one another are:
- Other recreational areas
Squirrels, especially ground squirrels, are known for transmitting serious diseases to humans. Squirrels carry similar diseases to fleas because squirrels are often infested with fleas. Some of the diseases squirrels are known to carry are:
- Relapsing fever
- Spotted fever
- Colorado tick fever
How To Keep Squirrels Away
The best method to avoid squirrel or other wildlife infestations is by using preventative measures on your property to keep these pests away in the first place. Some methods can be done by homeowners while others are recommended to be left to pest control specialists.
Some do-it-yourself squirrel control methods include:
- Removing food, such as acorns, from your yard
- Placing lids on outdoor garbage cans
- Install fences around your yard and/or garden
- Make a squirrel feeder and place it away from your property
Other forms of squirrel control require the knowledge and expertise of a pest control specialist. Professional squirrel control methods include:
- Exclusion: Well-secured, heavy wire mesh vents and gaps around crawlspace openings are great for properties that hold food. This method also works for keeping away other rodents.
- Live-Trapping: Another great method is live-trapping. This is done by placing trap gates containing food near trails or burrows.
Professional Squirrel Control
For effective squirrel and other wildlife management, leave it to the professionals. For more information on how to keep squirrels away from your property, contact your local Ehrlich specialists online or at (888) 986-2074.