No matter where you live, whether it’s the UK, USA or almost anywhere else – you will find the cockroach. Stories abound that in a nuclear attack cockroaches will survive, but just for the record – let’s not try that please.
The most prolific cockroach is the German cockroach, once they are in your home or business it requires a real concerted effort to get rid of them. Why you ask? They are prolific breeders and a single pair can produce 500 babies; they have been around for 250 million years and they love us (they invade our homes; every crack and crevice). It seems to me that they are not going anywhere!
So what can we do to keep the little critters out of our homes or businesses? Here are a few tips:
- Don’t leave pet food out overnight.
- Keep your property clean, wash dishes immediately and put them away.
- When you bring back food in boxes, if you are going to store the product (use sealed plastic containers) I also like to freeze items I put in my pantry and then put in plastic containers. Throw the original boxes away carefully, German roaches love to have their bodies touching both top and bottom.
- If you recycle – clean the cans and bottles.
- Seal up any holes coming into your property.
- If you notice any signs of cockroaches – call for advice immediately.
As always, if you ever have any issues or just want to talk with someone about a pest problem contact a professional pest control company.
This article was written by Keith Birkemeyer, a pest control professional from Arizona USA. Keith has over 18 years of pest control experience having worked for a major pest company in Florida and was a Technical Representative for a chemical manufacturer. Bloggings can be found at Probestblog and is a whirl wind of industry news, tips, pictures and helpful articles.